Re: [AMC-list] why is it?

The last couple years of Concords had axle ratios down into the 2.2?-1 range
my dad had one and tried to pull a small 16' boat with it.
  He had to talk the factory rep into buying a set of 2:79's for it and
it was still weak for towing.
  I agree with Wayne, at least 3:08 for towing and don't skimp, get a good tranny cooler and gauge.
The small cherokees got 3:08's with stick and 3:55's with auto for most years 87-88 up.
The early carb'd small Cherokees could be found with 3:73's and even a 4:11 set with one combo.
  I towed some pretty heavy crap with my 96, 5 speed with 3:08's. Never had any trouble at all.

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.