Re: [AMC-list] Rebel Machine rims Hemmings Find of the Day - 1972 AMC AM

Re: [AMC-list] Rebel Machine rims Hemmings Find of the Day - 1972 AMC AMX

How would one know what to order? A quick look around at leftover dealer stock or trade
ins on the lot usually helped. Had a nice longer conversation with old customer yesterday,
and part of conversationw as his email:
========================
Eddie,
Thanks for your reply! I thought all of the console woodgrain went horizontal. Your site
is absolutely amazing. I have been looking at AMC's since 1965 when I would ride around on
my 150cc Honda Beneley (like the 250cc and 305cc Dream) in TN going to new car
dealerships, and was taking Motor trend and Hot Rod in the early 60's.I was attracted to
the previews regarding each new Model year, and was going to the Drag Races at Virginia
Beach Dragstrip in 1962 & 1963.
I lived where Chevy was King and Ford & Mopars were the only other rides. I would drive my
motorcycle to Nashville, and Chattanooga to see AMC's and Sunbeam Tigers in the showroom.
I had a nice Visit a few months ago in Montgomery to the Alabama Department of Public
Safety at the Criminal Justice Center where I have researched many sources, and
interviewed many Top Brass and now retired troopers Since 1994.
For many years I was not able to get much correspondence from John Rosa, and that site is
now just on hold until John Gets it updated. John and I finally connected and he has
credited me for the information I had verified and validated, and I thanked him for that.
I have the 1972 Gold (Yucca Tan) longest serving ADPS Javelin (9Years), and the only known
to exist 1972 ADPS Ambassador which is in great shape with all the property #'s still in
place, and would like to finish the Javelin, but will install original display Radio
equipment for both that I have gleaned through sources in Alabama.
I am going through a small 40 year accumulation of NOS parts for the 70 AMX and Javelin.
In reviewing your dash # collection I noticed the glove box plaque AMX 01275, and I have
the glove Box and Plaque AMX 01270 with the SS VIN off a Black wreck that the junkyard
would sell me but would not sell the car.
Stay in touch, and be sure to let me know what you may be looking for. I just bought a Big
Bad Green white stripe loaded AMX that will need full restoration, but I have all the
stuff for.
======================
He ordered a black/black 70 AMX new. When the dealer called him to pick up there was issue
of insurance $900 a year. The Buick AMC dealer had never had a Javelin or AMX on lot, so
was oddity. All they had ever sold was Ramblers at Security. So I don't recall if he got
back deposit or not, but they sold car to a Middle Tennessee football player next day. No
one knows what happened to car after that.

Relevance being not all dealers knew every option and accessory. Some didn't even know
certain models like SC/Rambler or SC/360 Hornet existed. Many could not name some of the
veteran AMC NASCAR, Trans Am or SCCA races like Paschal. Few dealers ever heard of Topel
Rebel or Randall Gremlin XR-401 or P38 Gremlin or Hornet Rallye. Had to pick up books, and
not all books current, updated, or had photos or ordering information so had to make
calls. And when you went to order your new AMC, order forms always had extra lines to
customize add ons:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/69_amc_order.jpg

of which "stuff" was written in if customer wanted, and dealer could ID it:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/70_amc_order.jpg

PS: the 8 slot rally rims AMC had starting in 1971 you had 14, and 15 inch type. Those
too, made by KH....and while they don't show up in all dealer catalogs...or Group 15
Accessory books, were available into 1979 to order, but AMC still had mess of them in
inventory past when Mopar bought out AMC. I ended up with about 40 of them, 14 inch, in
Carlsbad TX dealer buyout in 1990, some in box, others not, all $20 a rim NOS. Not sure
how one would order them after Mopar buyout, but Mopar stuck "J" in front of AMC part
numbers on everything.
======================
on this comment:
no kidding! the standard AMC wheels were considered boring.(and all other factory issued wheels from any maker). after all they were all over the place. soon as i could afford it i bought the Western 5 spoke, which was a much lessexpensive SS look alike. now when my poor, starving nephs & nieces spend $400 for a phone, i try to remember that. years later i wanted all stock, thank goodness my parents don't throw anything away, they still had the original wheels, though a little dusty.
=======================
I wished I had pulled ever 14 & 15 inch 8 slot rally rim at Houston pick a parts in 1980s/90s, only $8 for steel rim. No place to put them, and watched HUNDREDS of them get crushed along with whole cars. Also wished had $1 for every (pick 1) original air cleaner assembly, smog equipment, thrown away in 70s/80s replaced by purdee shinee chromie aftermarket one; also wished had $1 for ever dash drilled into for gauges, and door panel cut for speakers. It's what people did in 70s.
and: Back in those days though, lots of folks ditched the stock wheels on their rides in favor of the Keystone Classic, Crager SS, and Centerline mags. It would be pretty cool to see those put into production again!
You can still get the Cragar SS rims in 14 inch.....also 15 and big 17 inches:

http://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/?fid=2

A look thru Summitt and Jegs also shows a variety of Cragar rims. Timeless rims.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com