[AMC-list] Rebel Machine rims Hemmings Find of the Day - 1972 AMC AMX

[AMC-list] Rebel Machine rims Hemmings Find of the Day - 1972 AMC AMX

No and no. The Data book for 1972 was printed in summer of 1971. And like many things Group 15, it was FLUID. That means ever changing. And many items were NOT listed in it either. I could easily comment here about tons of things you won't find in Data Books, Group 15 Accessories books, or order guides like 69-70 Breedlove roof spoilers. Front stainless steen spoilers for 68-70 AMX & Javelin. Mid 1969-70 four speed console 'change trays' to name a handful of things you probably won't find in any Data Book, nor ordering guide, dealer brochure, anything. Years ago had to let a AMO guy know that Sidewinders were indeed a 'accessory' even had a part number assigned to them in the books. Didn't appear in 1968 books though.

The Rebel Machnie rims were made by Kelsey Hayes and were not, repeat, not leftovers, AMC had them in stock well into the mid 1980s. Just helped out on a article about this with Hemmings of all things called Wild About Wheels and had sent them photos of NOS "replacement" Machine rims in the original KH boxes, which were more of a silver tone, not the glitter tone paint that used to wash off flakes when scrubbed in 1969/70. Again, these rims were not in short supply as AMC had to have pressed tons of them. And I was still buying them at dealers in 1980s it was no big deal.

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2010/09/01/hmn_feature25.html

want photos of NOS Rebel Machine rims in box, email me.

Larry, yes, I agree, the Data Books (like dealer color catalogs, and order forms) are vague....and you will find a number of things 'written in' for instance. As you mention, back in the day, a dealer would pick up the phone and make a call to Zone to see if something available or not still. Want a Breedlove roof spoiler on your Javelin, sure, it's CC 533 Code SPR for instance, this may or MAY NOT appear in order forms.

Some whole packages were written in like Rebel Machine as CC 443 WRM Machine Package which was solid colored cars or 768 MCP for red, white & blue cars. Written in. Whole car. Some simple items also like CC 567 ETP External Trim Package. For what? Depends on what Series.

The problem is trying to establish a time line when none exists. For a staggering (my humble opinion) 60%-70% of packages, options, accessories there is no paper trail, sh*t just happened. You made a call. There is no SSB, no memo, no bulletin, nothing to establish a timeline 40 something years ago, much less now.

If you pick up a 1972 color dealer catalog, there are tons of airbrushed photos in it. Ohhh...nice real photo of engine, shifter, 8 track player, and dash, but those are from 1971 car....look at actual photo of the vehicle and it is not real, it is artwork. Great artwork too I may add! But not actual photo of car. Sort of like ordering at Denny's, IHOP or any fast food place, you see enticing photo up on board or menu and order it only to have tire patch looking crabby patty come to table by waiter Spongebob or Patrick.

Ever study a 1973 AMC color catalog in the two page 73 AMX & Javelin photo? It's airbrushed to hell...go take a look. There are (guess what?) Rebel Machine rims (15 inch styled steel wheels) the butt end of the car with 73 lights is brushed in and they forgot to include the blacked out Rally Pack....there is tape on bumper, no paint around lights. Look closer there are those 1970-72 high back seats with turtle backs in it used for Ambassador, AMX, Javelin, Matador & Rebel Machine. The (discontinued) stainless length of car side trim is intact, only used for 71-72. The silver Javelin has clear turns, export vehicle type, not used in US, and few sent overseas with those. Girl in photo has great looking mini skirt and go go boots, and towers above race driver who must be Mickey Rooney.

Bottom line is not everything you saw you got and not everything was listed. And they were constantly updated as calender year moved on. A great example of this is a Car Ordering Guide & Price Book for 1970. It was printed May 26th, 1969....MONTHS before 1970 production began. Reissued July 10th, 1969 as plants usually closed and changed for new year's pressing and vehicles...reissued again August 1st, 1969 when plants begaun production.....August 25th 1969, again September 25th 1969....and yet again January 2nd, 1970. middle of production year. Some things added, others deleted. Some revisions installed (to be inserted into those Data Books we fond of) others not. I believe there were two more revisions after this including one at end of production, or near it, in June 1970. Last revision I found was May 1970, however, some (if I was willing to dig, and am not) probably go further.

Bottom line is you can't, and won't find a timeline on many accessories and options when it comes to AMC. Besides no paper trails, you had changes in suppliers, vendors, strikes, contracts that affected what was available, and put on car not only in Kenosha, but at dealers when one ordered their new AMC and for years to come. Yes, Data Books, Guides & Order Forms were to give dealers a broad idea on what is available but don't tell whole story, especially with a time line that I don't think will ever be established.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/pre-production-amx.htm

Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

Previously:
No, My 1972 AMC factory data and upholstery book says only the 5 spoke (magnum 500s?) and the slot type wheels ( 8 slots AKA as Rally IIs) were vailable. Most of Rebel Machine type wheels were used up in 1971 . That not says AMC did not have some left over and put them on early 1972 Javelins. But the factory data book does not list them as available. I will add the descriptions in the AMC data books are vague on a good day when it comes to stuff like this.Back in the day the dealer knew what was meant or assumed ,some times today we just take educated guesses . LRDaum

Ahh, ok so possibly early '72 Javs ( which I have seen an owner discuss before in that he said his Javelin that he did NOT buy new, nonetheless had what appeared to be original equipment Machine wheels on it. I believe he also confirmed the date codes on the wheels over-lapped the time period when the car was new. That is to say, around the build date of the car. OTOH they could have been dealer specials installed after ordering from the parts department or they were trade wheels or left-over from another order. Who knows? My quess in answering the poster's question was he wanted to know how long one could have ordered the wheels as a new car option. You have answered that question. Thank you.

Steve