Re: [AMC-list] engine rpm versus mph

Yeah, I'm with Mark on this one. Old tachs never seem to work right. The
meter movement bearings get stiff, caps get old, circuits drift. Most of
them are crap electronic designs, even supposedly good tachs, as components
like transistors were expensive then. An old Moon tach I had had ONE
transistor in it. They assume points as the signal source. Some of the other
old tachs I had had adapter boxes just to connect to CDI ignitions etc. I'm
fairly sure modern tachs, even cheap ones, have integrated circuits with 10,
50, 100 transistors and do a good job, look for ignition timing info in a
more robust way and don't use DWELL as part of the RPM-to-voltage
calculation (which is what fouls up the old tachs).

It's a bummer cuz the old tachs looks great, and most new tachs look like
gaudy candy boxes.  SW has some decent new tachs though, I have one in my
American that looks completely vintage, 270 degree sweep and spot-on
accurate (my two DVM type tachs and the SW all agree, at least :-) I even
got a 6000 rpm job for the 195.6OHV. Got it from Summit.