From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] sending unit

> 9-10 ohms at full is correct. Should be 70-75 ohms at empty. The stated
range is 9-73 ohms, but these are "5%" gauges. They can be +/- 5% of the
low/high value, so 8-10 ohms at full (or hot on the temp gauge) or 69-77
ohms at empty (or cold). There should be a 60-70 ohm difference, so you've
got a broken coil if only reading around half that much. The sending unit
must be replaced. The rebuilt replacements can be a bit pricey. You can make
a universal sending unit fit by striping the original off and leaving just
the mounting plate, then removing the universal unit from its mount and
securing it to the original plate.

> I use a
http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-fuel-level-float/p2005714.jcwx?skuId=162409&filterid=j1
for this. The cheaper ones are 33-240 ohms and of course won't work.