Re: [AMC-list] an act of sacralige???

Actually, the 400 is in the M family. Same bell as 460/429/351M and same pan 351M/C (plus a couple less known engines) I had a fairly rare 400C (small block Ford bell pattern like the 351 Cleveland) from an ex-cop car and my roommate has 2 351Cs in the shop plus one in her '55 Ford Crestline? hotrod.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] an act of sacralige???

For drag racing I don't find this "bad" at all. That you have the Ford stuff is a plus as far as cost, but I'd rather you risk blowing up a common Ford or Chevy engine rather than an increasingly uncommon AMC. Depends on just how hard you want to run, of course. A guy in FL ran a built to the hilt SBC in his drag AMX. He kept the stock 390 to put back in the car when his racing days were over, assuming the car survived (heck, that was a few years ago -- probably at that point now!). His reasoning was he could trounce the Chevys and easily replace them as needed, but not the 390. Just make sure you make those engine mount adapter plates bolt on, or weld where you can get the side grinder to the welds easily to remove later.

Oil pan and pickup shouldn't be a problem. Summit and Jegs have rear sump pans and pickups for SBFs. The SBF 400 is basically a 351W block, right? Trucks typically used a rear sump, but I'm not sure if a 302 pan will fit. Just a little research, and may still have to mod the pan to fit the AMC body. At least the dizzy is up front and not against the firewall!