Re: [AMC-list] parts vendors

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 15:36, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If it's a Gemmer box you might want to reference the seals posted on this
> site.

Thanks, alas, mine is a "modern" box with replaceable bearings and the
pitman seal is completely different.

Sharp guy though, and a good tech site, makes you appreciate the amount of
lore one can build up with a more-popular make!

> http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/steering.htm

Once again, I'm going to make my own seals. It's easy, and instead of
ancient, stiff, expensive NOS seals I'll have new, flexible, modern
formulation Buna-N seals. Cheap too. Like I did with the trunnion seals, I'm
buying both O-rings ($8/100!) and cup type seals ($6 for 5). The trunnion
seals are still fine.

Instead of grease I will run gear oil and set it up for close tolerances for
tight and smooth steering. I might take a hint from the Model A guy though
and drill and tap for a drain plug. The box casting and pitman arm is at the
machine shop getting hot-tanked and media blasted. Might as well look good.