Re: [AMC-list] ancient Gemmer steering gear, ancient starter motor

Re: [AMC-list] ancient Gemmer steering gear, ancient starter motor

Oh ill get new springs at some point. Gotta make a spring compressor first!

I figure fixing worn out stuff (link, steering box) trumps upgrades.

(from my G2)
On Mar 1, 2011 2:58 AM, "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just tightening the heck out of the ends of the drag link is good. For
handling those old cars really need stiffer springs. They were sprung to
provide a nice ride at (which for today is considered) low speeds on the
rougher roads back in the day. As you have stated before, it's very much a
late 40s/early 50s car. Good tires and 12% stiffer progressive coils in
front and half-leaf "helper" springs in the rear with poly bushings in the
front eye and shackles work absolute wonders without making the ride harsh
on most modern highways. Side streets of LA will be a bit rougher though,
like dirt and secondary roads in my neck of the woods!