Re: [AMC-list] 86 camanche info

From what I understand, they never did fix the issue with coolant leaking past the intake manifold gaskets and into the engine. DexCool coolant (the pink long life stuff) makes the problem far worse.

I would make sure you have all of the TSB's for the engine in hand before you do a replacement. I replaced a bad 2.8 in a Blazer about 10 years ago there were a lot of TSB's for various problems with them. Most of the issues were fixed with very simple procedures during assembly.

BTW, the 3.4 was never put into anything with a carb. If the Jeep has a carb, you'll need to plumb in an electric fuel pump and inertia switch to shut it off in a wreck.

Matt

On 1/30/2011 12:00 PM, Joe Fulton spouted this sage advice:
Since your Mom is going to be driving it and since it's by far the easiest thing
to do, I'd pony up for a rebuilt 3.4. liter short block and put the truck back
together.  GM supposedly solved all the supposed 2.8 liter problems with the 3.4
Liter resizing.    Or just forget that truck.  But I put many miles on an S-10
Blazer with the 2.8 myself.  I did have one blown head gasket but the bottom end
of that engine never failed me.

Joe Fulton

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx