Re: [AMC-list] Need Borg Warner T-35 Automatic Transmission

Another thing I just thought of! The flex plates for those models are thin hardened steel. They crack with age. Mine made a bit of noise then ripped the center out, but I drove it a lot. Pull the cover off the front of the bell housing and see if you can move the torque converter back and forth (rotating, not front to back... though it shouldn't move that way either). If you can move it any without turning the engine over the flex plate is bad cracked. Have to pull the trans to fix it, but easy to do. Several AMC vendors have new flexplates... South Texas AMC makes a nice double layer one.

-----------
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:44:14 -0500
From: Frank Swygert<farna@xxxxxxx>

You know, the strange sounds while the trans is in park lead me to believe it may be the torque converter and not the trans. When/if you do get it rebuilt make SURE you get the torque converter rebuilt also. A converter shop will cut the old one open, clean it, replace bearings, then weld back up. There's a special machine they use for the cutting and welding.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"