Re: [AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

" From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" My 195.6 has been running well, but it blows smoke when first starting
" up at idle. It starts up fine, no smoke, runs for maybe three to five
" minutes before I notice smoke out the tailpipe. When I drive it, no
" smoke. After running to the grocery store or library, I can idle it
" once warmed up - and no smoke. Perhaps a good run up the highway for a
" half hour or more might do the car a world of good. Anyway, after
" reading about 195.6 rebuild costs, I've been thinking of 232's and
" maybe a small body v8 crossmember and a 304. Something newer, run by
" the jeep crowd, and easier to get parts for.

nb. the 199/232/258 uses the same frt springs as the 196.  going by
springs, v8 americans carry over 100lbs more on their front ends.

nb. '72-newer sixes have v8 bolt patterns and can't use your
bellhousing.  there is a bellhousing, used with t14s up to '76, and
later ones are often multipattern.  otoh if you do go this way, you
could go as far as a '90s jeep 4.0, efi and all...  you'll need
something stronger than a t96 behind it though - ask frank swygert!
a car t14 has the same bolt pattern as the t96 and is strong enough
[barely] for a 2bbl 304 and also full synchro, though it's ~2"
shorter.

if chad chadwick decides to v8 his javelin, the crossmember and rear
axle are too wide for an american but with a small-body crossmember
and non-big-nut rear, his six, tranny, and driveshaft would bolt right
into any '64-9 american.

" I was looking at Atlanta Craigslist and saw a freshly rebuilt 232 long
" block for sale. Meet the owner at the SC border, load the pallet, off
" you go. Then I wandered over to the Jalopy Journal and read about
" machine shop stories. Wrong parts, poor rebuilds, good machine shop
" work but the engine rebuilder did not pay attention to tolerances, ...
" So - I'm thinking I'll keep that 195.6. I'll let it burn a little oil
" on startup. I'll run it up the highway to warm it up completely. But
" I'll stay away from rebuilt engines on a pallet, cash and carry, lots
" a luck your gonna need it deals.

on the off chance the rings are gummed and not worn, you could try
gunk brand motor flush at your next oil change.  drop it to the fill
mark, warm it up, then add the flush and idle 15-30 min, then change
oil and filter.  i've used it to good - sometimes amazing - effect on
a few vehicles.