[AMC-list] Hmmmm, 232's and whatnot

My 195.6 has been running well, but it blows smoke when first starting
up at idle. It starts up fine, no smoke, runs for maybe three to five
minutes before I notice smoke out the tailpipe. When I drive it, no
smoke. After running to the grocery store or library, I can idle it
once warmed up - and no smoke. Perhaps a good run up the highway for a
half hour or more might do the car a world of good. Anyway, after
reading about 195.6 rebuild costs, I've been thinking of 232's and
maybe a small body v8 crossmember and a 304. Something newer, run by
the jeep crowd, and easier to get parts for.

I was looking at Atlanta Craigslist and saw a freshly rebuilt 232 long
block for sale. Meet the owner at the SC border, load the pallet, off
you go. Then I wandered over to the Jalopy Journal and read about
machine shop stories. Wrong parts, poor rebuilds, good machine shop
work but the engine rebuilder did not pay attention to tolerances, ...
So - I'm thinking I'll keep that 195.6. I'll let it burn a little oil
on startup. I'll run it up the highway to warm it up completely. But
I'll stay away from rebuilt engines on a pallet, cash and carry, lots
a luck your gonna need it deals.

(Besides, Goza Machine in Acworth is a stand-up shop with a good guy
running it. If I have to do anymore work - I'm heading back to Tommy
Goza.)