Re: [AMC-list] What I Did this Weekend

Well, got the engine finished in my car! It cranked right up on the first try. I even got the dizzy in where it bolts right in where it should (4.0L). Most aftermarket cams need the distributor indexed a bit to get it right, but I used a Mopar Performance cam which is ground from the original blanks. Probably made a difference, though it took a little finagling to get the dizzy in right due to the oil pump. It seems perfectly happy with the slightly bigger injectors and much bigger throttle body on the 1999 "equal length runner" intake. Had to make an adapter for the Renix TB on the 99 intake, and had to do a little modifying to the intake to mount the Renix type throttle linkage and old style power steering pump. Also had to mod the Renix fuel rail to fit. After the cracked head fiasco everything went pretty smoothly though, and it's now up and running. Put maybe 30 miles on it. Will drive it to my welding class (100 mile round trip) tomorrow night for a good break-in. It's now obvious that my old engine had too much clearance in the cylinders... this one is tight!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"