Re: [AMC-list] Six Cylinder Balancers

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'm putting together a rebuilt long block 232 for my 76 Gremlin.  The long block
" is a factory rebuilt 1972 version.  I need to use the late 70s/early 80s
" version of the crankshaft balancer (thick balancer) instead of the skinny
" 60s/early 70s balancer because I'm using the 76 timing cover.  I'm using the 76
" balancer in order to get the belt alignment where it needs to be (out in front
" of that electronic probe fixture on the time cover).  If you've put together
" many six cylinder motors you may know what I'm talking about.
"
" So my question:  As far as the function of the balancer, any six cylinder
" balancer will work right?  I know an inline six cylinder engine is
" basically balanced by it's very nature.

they're also called harmonic -dampers-.  the rubber layer and steel
ring are a spring-mass system designed to resonate at the crank's
natural torsional frequency, opposing and cancelling the crank's
vibration.  [2 smaller peaks, 1/2 octave above and below the original
resonance, will appear]  friction in the system will also damp the
peaks and spread the 'tuning'.

with its shorter throws, the 199 crank should be stiffer, and with its
longer throws the 258 crank should be looser than the 232, but the
factory balancer was probably not tuned so precisely that swapping
would matter.  also, i'm not sure amc ever changed the 232 crank from
'64 to '79.  all 232 dampers would therefore swap.

the shorter crank nose is on cars with serp belts, 4.0s and some '80s
258s.