[AMC-list] Local jaunt time

I was looking at Jalopy Journal at Ryan's article on daily drivers. He
did a brief write-up and video of his morning ride near Austin Texas
in his '39 Ford with flathead V8. That made me want to take the trusty
Rambler out for a ride. It was in the high 30's (38, 39 degrees or so
this morning) - so I hit it with starter fluid. Started right up, and
was ready to go in a few minutes. Took a bunch of back roads, just
little two lane roads with 55MPH speed limits. Car was happy going up
the small hills, handled well around the turns. Was a joy to drive -
with the vent windows slightly open, one hand on the wheel and one arm
draped on the bench seat.

Didn't bother checking the miles. Just wandered around for an hour,
hour and a half. Home duties beckoned, so it was back to home. Had to
run out later in the afternoon, and did lunch time traffic. Not nearly
as much fun, and the brakes need adjusting again (dang it! oh, I mean
- that should be a lot of fun!).

Anyway, I'm building up to taking it out for a nice long drive. It did
just fine on a local jaunt. Hopefully warmed it up enough to blow off
a little carbon (I got a little enthusiastic on the accelerator a few
times - still - not enthusiastic enough to warrant undue attention).

The article talked about leaving the Ford flatty as is, just a fun
daily driver. Joe, you also talked about changes making the Rambler
something other than what it is. It was a joy to drive the Rambler the
way it was designed to be driven on roads it does well on. Perhaps
I'll bring a camera along next time - although driving and recording
video is way beyond my skill set (perhaps I can talk a kid into
photojournalist role).

It may not be a show car, but it sure is a fun car to cruise-in.