Re: [AMC-list] 195.6ohv, ARP studs and head torque

I'm glad you got these results! Check it again in another 8K miles just to be sure (or when you check lifter adjustment). You get 15-16K on it and I'll be satisfied. The only clincher here may be that cooling mod. I'd say it MUST be in place to use the studs an leave the head alone. Good thing it's easy to do! Should even be able to do it with the head on, but the water pump would have to come off. There would be some benefit from just having the cooling mod, but may as well pull the head and use studs too. They don't have to be ARP studs, standard grade 8 studs from a fastener supply should be just as good. The ARP studs are slightly harder than grade 8, may not need but a bit over factory hot torque (I'd go 70 ft/lbs anyway).

-----------------------
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:07:05 -0800

From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

OK, 8000 miles on the motor, pulled the valve cover to check bolt torque (i'd only checked some of the outside ones earlier) and no re-torque was needed -- I'd socked them up to 75 ft/lbs at assembly, and the wrench just clicked when set to 70 ft/lbs. When set to 75 turned about they moved 1/16 turn, just barely. There's almost no stiction from the ARP lube and nuts-on-studs, not those stupid bolts. In short, the head studs did not loosen one bit since the engine was assembled this past spring So as far as I'm concerned the 195.6 OHV head retorquing mystery is solved -- *head cooling design flaw, easily fixed*, and ARP head studs, cold-torqued to 75.

No way I'd ever assemble a 195.6 OHV with headbolts again. Worth every dime for the studs.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"