[AMC-list] 195.6ohv, ARP studs and head torque

[AMC-list] 195.6ohv, ARP studs and head torque

OK, 8000 miles on the motor, pulled the valve cover to check bolt torque
(i'd only checked some of the outside ones earlier) and no re-torque was
needed -- I'd socked them up to 75 ft/lbs at assembly, and  the wrench just
clicked when set to 70 ft/lbs. When set to 75 turned about they moved 1/16
turn, just barely. There's almost no stiction from the ARP lube and
nuts-on-studs, not those stupid bolts. In short, the head studs did not
loosen one bit since the engine was assembled this past spring

So as far as I'm concerned the 195.6 OHV head retorquing mystery is solved
-- head cooling design flaw, easily fixed, and ARP head studs, cold-torqued
to 75.

No way I'd ever assemble a 195.6 OHV with headbolts again. Worth every dime
for the studs.

Done and done.

Plugs all perfect, though #6 faintly more coffee colored (double-checked
plug wires), running great, I guess it's broken in now.

I can tell you with a summer of LA freeway driving, that RV cam that Doug
Galvin sells is a winner. That plus the Weber 32/36 DGEV carb and a 2.25"
exhaust and Pertronix ignition and I drive all day in freeway traffic, 65 -
75 mph and it's not even working that hard, 2300 - 2500 rpm (2500=73mph). It
keeps up just fine, and 0 - 60 is a hell of a lot better (though I haven't
measured it, I will soon). The upgraded (Gremlin drum 9x2.5 drilled and
ventilated) brakes are more than adequate. The Twin Stick OD and axle make
the difference.