Re: [AMC-list] Transmission fluid

The dipstick in all 3 of the BW autos I recently dealt with stated Type F fluid on them. FMX was based on the BW, not the other way around. They designed the fluid Ford used as well. (Volvos used Type F in their BW autos till AW took over)

Quoted from http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-406706.html

Type F - stood for Ford.

Type ATF - was automatic transmission fluid which later became Dextron II

Type FLM - stood for Ford Lincoln Mercury.

Ford transmission had a band material that was made from ASBESTOS!  The
asbestos required a different type of transmission fluid then the
General Motors.

If you used FLM transmission fluid in a GM transmission such as the
Turbo Hydro 350 - it ate the clutch material and transmission failure
was eminent.

GM used big fancy terms to explain what material was or was not used in their clutches. ( organic materials )

Basically you could use the ATF in the Ford Transmission when it was
new, but you could not mix the two and you could not by any means use
the FLM in the GM transmission.

Later years, they came out with Dextron II - which I believe interchanged with both types of transmission fluid.

Then along came Dextron III

Quoted from http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/transmission/typef.aspx
Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F
    Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is a high performance
 lubricating fluid for pre-1977 (and some 1977 to 1981) automatic
transmissions built by Ford Motor Company and other makes requiring a
high friction Type F fluid.
    It is manufactured using selected highly refined base oils and
additives that provide oxidation and thermal stability, friction
control, cleanliness, load-carrying ability, corrosion and wear
protection, and prevent the formation of foam.
    Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is red in color for identification and leakage control.
    Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F protects against
deposits, corrosion and wear, provides proper shifting action, resists
oxidation and viscosity increase, and ensures long transmission life.
    Customer Benefits
    Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F delivers value through:
    Protection against the formation of lacquers and other harmful depositsExceptional stability provided by excellent base oil and extra oxidation inhibitorsQuiet performance – Especially effective in assuring proper action in Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury transmissions at all speeds.Fast circulation during cold weather and excellent lubricating body when hot.
    Applications
    Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F is recommended for
automatic transmissions in Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln passenger cars and
 light trucks manufactured by Ford Motor Company and certain other makes
 prior to 1977, and some makes from 1977 to 1981 (consult the vehicle
owners manual).
    This fluid is not to be used in Ford transmissions that require a
 fluid meeting Ford M2C138-CJ. Chevron Automatic Transmission Fluid
DEXRON®-III/MERCON® is the recommended fluid in this case.

Also see http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729051