[AMC-list] Oil Pressure II

Thanks to everyone for the input.  Here is a little more information.  When I initially start the car I get 40lb of oil pressure.  As the oil get warm the pressure falls.  After 10 minutes at idle of 700 rpm the pressure is at 9-10 lbs.  I have a mechanical gauge with copper line.  If the pressure relief valve was bad, or stuck, wouldn't the pressure remain the same?

I have about 80 miles on the rebuild.  I removed and cut the oil filter (with the appropriate tool so no shavings would be in the filter from the cutting).  I checked the inside of the filter and could see NO metal shavings.
Anyway, if it still sounds like it could be the pressure relief, how do I check to see if it is bad?  I hope that is the problem because if it is bearing clearance I've got a big problem.  Any ideas?  Past experience?  Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim