Re: [AMC-list] AMC acquired Jeep in 1970.

OK, I guess I may have been wrong on the takeover date, but the 258 came in '71 didn't it?

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 21:25:18 -0800
From: fullsizejeeps@xxxxxxxxx
To: carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; wallacem7@xxxxxxx; fsj-digest@xxxxxxxxxx; dieseljohn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AMC acquired Jeep in 1970.

    they took over in 1970.   There appears to be some minor
    discrepancies in the record... some cite January, others February...
    :)

    Maybe someone can research the corporate records with the SEC if
    you'd like and confirm which month in 1970 this actually happened.

    I only opened two of my books... have more than a dozen that would
    confirm this, and likely a sales brochure as well...  :)

    and remember also I was watching TV commercials and getting ready to
    drive when all this was happening...

    p.464 - Std Catalog of 4x4s - "American Motors acquired the Kaiser
    Jeep assets in January, 1970."

    p. 272 - Std Catalog of American Motors - "American Motors purchased
    Jeep, from Kaiser Industries,

    in February 1970."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Motors - American
      Motors (AMC) purchased Kaiser's Jeep
    operations in 1970

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiser_Motors - "The company changed
    its name to Kaiser Jeep in 1963. By 1969, Kaiser
    Industries decided to leave the auto business, which was sold to American Motors in 1970. As part of
    the transaction, Kaiser acquired a 22% interest in AMC, which it
    later divested. Included in the sale was the General Products
    Division, which Kaiser had purchased from Studebaker
    in 1964 as it prepared to leave the auto business itself. AMC
    renamed the division AM
      General, which still operates today, and is best known as the
    manufacturer of the original High Mobility
      Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle ((or Humvee), later called the Hummer
    H1."

    http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/liberty-history.html

    http://www.best-jeep-guide.com/history-of-jeeps.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Motors-Corporation/108155832550365

    On 11/12/2010 8:48 PM, Jim Blair wrote:

      Introduced for the '71 model year (when AMC officially took over)

      > Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:51:04 -0800

      > From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      > To: carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx

      > CC: wallacem7@xxxxxxx; fsj-digest@xxxxxxxxxx

      > Subject: RE: fsj: Patch panels and Buick 350's

      > got it straight out of the book... the issue is it was
      introduced mid-year, that's why

      > you are wrong, or think I'm wrong... because we're both kind
      of right... remember, it's a jeep thing,

      > you won't understand. :)

      > -----

      > Snohomish, Washington -o|||||o- where Jeeps don't rust, they
      mold

      > http://AMSOIL.com/redirect.cgi?zo=283461 si vis pacem, para
      bellum

      http://fotomeister.us

      > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Jim Blair wrote:

      > #

      > # You're off a little bit there. 258 didn't come along till
      '71 and that year only it came with the small bell pattern of the
      199 and earlier 232. In '72 it matched the AMC V8 (and later 4.0L)

      > #

      > # > Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:58:20 -0800

      > # > From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      > # > To: wallacem7@xxxxxxx

      > # > CC: fsj-digest@xxxxxxxxxx

      > # > Subject: Re: fsj: Patch panels and Buick 350's

      > # >

      > # > 1970 was an interesting year.. AMC acquired Jeep from
      Kaiser... that year

      > # > you could get a 232, or a 258(which was the standard
      engine), a 304 or a

      > # > 360, and from what I have read, you could still get
      the Dauntless Buick 350

      > # > V-8 in the 1414X Wagoneer, with "Limited Quality" or
      something like that...

      > # >

      > # > so it's possible that a 350 could be found in a '71...
      but knowing how

      > # > jeeps and jeep owners are, anything is possible... :)

      > # >

      > # > concerning the 390, sounds like it jumped timing...
      didn't realize

      > # > those were interference motors... unless someone put
      the wrong push