Re: [AMC-list] Hey - the brakes were good!

Re: [AMC-list] Hey - the brakes were good!

Joe - you're on the wrong side of the Continent! When I was in
highschool, I took machine shop and helped in the shop after school
for adults taking Boces adult ed. (I lost a lot of time due to back
surgery, and had to make it up - and got paid for it, too!). Anyway -
my pay went to a blue Gremlin with a white hockey stripe, floor shift
manual transmission and a small 6. I didn't have a license, but I had
a car. Then my dad traded it in for a '69 American 440 four door sedan
in blue. I loved that car! That got swapped for a '69 Biscayne 2 door
sedan my sister drove to school (with me paying for the dang car). By
the time I had a license, the AMC's were swapped out for a '71 Simca.

Anyway - I really like Americans and Gremlins. The first two cars I
paid for where AMC's. Unfortunately, they were no longer in the
driveway when I was able to drive. Gremmies? Americans? At Joe's
house? Very cool!

As far as the brakes - yeah, I could have checked them myself, and
stopping straight and true would prove them out. But on the other
hand, it gave me a sense of satisfaction knowing I hadn't hacked them
up. It also gives me a sense of confidence knowing they're good and I
should not worry about stopping. Think I'll do the valves myself. I
messed with them a couple times, and wrote down the order on a piece
of paper I put on the fender. I'm thinking I don't need a mechanic to
tell me if they're right. I should be able to hear it.

(back to stirring the chili!)