Re: [AMC-list] Hey - the brakes were good!

Re: [AMC-list] Hey - the brakes were good!

Bruce,

Good news about the brakes.   Now, are you saying to yourself?  I coulda done that?   But it is nice to know that someone with experience has blessed them.

I don't have all that much experience with my 195.6 yet but I once heard someone say that (referring to a solid lifter engine) "a happy lifter is a noisy lifter".   I had adjusted my lifters with a cold engine before the first startup just to get them into the ballpark and they were all quiet.  When I warmed up the motor and started re-adjusting them I learned that they were all a little too tight.  If you adjust them with the engine running you'll learn about their tendancy to "suck" the feeler gauge into the lash opening when they are adjusted about right.  They won't do that when they are too tight (won't fit) and when they are too loose the feel (tug) on the gauge is just not right.  You'll get the feel of it.  If you don't want the engine running, just run (adjust) the valves with the engine warm in the proper firing order and take your time.  You'll bond with your engine in no time.

I suggest that you get a good set of long feeler guages when to do this.  The short gauges you can use for spark plugs just don't allow enough reach to do a good job.

Right now I'm waiting for primer to dry so I can paint my new (rebuilt) water pump for my 195.6 and then for light rain to stop so I can install the pump.  In the mean time I'm working on a 232 I built for my Gremlin (prepping for paint and trying to round up accessories that have stored away for several years).  I may post about that later today.

Joe Fulton