[AMC-list] 77 Matador Sedan Trunk Leaks

Polished up the Matador from the Steve Green collection today.  Must admit it polishes up very well.  I'll post pics when I get it all detailed tomorrow.

I have a question, though:  Any of you with a Rebel, Ambassador, or Matador -- you are probably all aware that **every** full-sized AMC collects water in the quarters.  Have any of you done the inside-the-trunk thing with the friend spraying water around body joints?  If so, where was the most likely source of water infiltration?

I have had two full-sized cars leak profusely around the taillamps -- a 69 Ambassador as well as a 77 Matador Coupe.  However, this current 77 isn't leaking there, and I can't tell where it's coming from after spending ten minutes in there getting soaked.

Ideas?

By the way, one source of retained moisture in these cars is the fuel filler drain.  One every full-sized AMC I've ever had, the fuel filler door looked funky and moldy -- a sure sign of a plugged-up drain.  Do yourself a favor and straighten out a steel coat hanger, and stuff it through the drain.  It's usually the bottom end that's clogged, so start from there first.  You'll only be able to get the wire in about halfway due to the bend in the drain hose, so once the bottom half is clear, work the top half also until water sprayed into the fuel filler area runs out the bottom of the drain completely clear.

MARC MONTONI
Harrisonburg VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm