[AMC-list] There May be Hope

The Rambler is outdoors with another project car in my garage, so I have to work quickly after work to make and test "fixes" to the engine.  I got skunked last night while trying to move the little vacuum line coming from the carb to the distrbibutor.  It's a hard line, not a hose.   I was trying to make room for the linkage to operate properly at hot idle.  I'd never noticed the line obstructing the linkage until I looked more closely a couple of days ago.

I stripped a brass fitting last night and had no joy.   Tonight with a new fitting it was an easy fix and I got it idled down to 550 rpm after warmup.  Now that it was running on the idle circuit I could play with the idle mixture to see if I got a change in the vacuum reading.  There was no difference with the idle mixture needle which was in the carb.  But I have two other RBSs and one of them had a more "pointy" mixture needle that looked factory.  When I substituted that needle I got a change in vacuum of about 2 inches as the mixture was nearly closed.   There may still be a problem with the carb but after I richened it a little the idle smoothed out pretty well.  Progress, I think.  Tomorrow, I will reset the point gap, to correct the low dwell reading and reset the timing if necessary.  Then put the license plates on it and road test.

Joe Fulton