Re: [AMC-list] Down off the Jacks

I hate when that happens Joe! I've had it happen on several occasions when I was driving a 63 American all the time. Had that car 14 years, so I changed the driveshaft several times for various reasons. Had just about worn out Americans before that in high school and just after, probably changed shafts on those (two different ones in three years) over those three years as I did the other in 14! Glad to hear you have it together and running.

-------------
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Well I finished the tranny swap today finally.?? I have not had it out on the road yet but it moves in forward and reverse and there are no leaks.? Putting those c-clips on the rear u-joint with the driveshaft in the car is an art.? I think I could do it now about three times faster than this attempt.? I had the darndest time with the last c-clip because there just did not seem to be enough clearance in the groove to install the c-clip.? I took the cap back off after trying for a half hour and saw that one little needle bearing had slipped down in the cap, using up all the clearance.?? A little work with an awl to reposition the bearings and it went together fine.?
?
I have to be gone all week but hope to take it for a long test drive in the neighbohood next Saturday.? It's licensed and insured now, but still has no muffler.? Sounds kinda neat at idle though.?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"