Re: [AMC-list] Weber 32/36 DGEV on the 195.6...t

Re: [AMC-list] Weber 32/36 DGEV on the 195.6...t

you are 100% right. It depends totally on what you want out of the car. I
was planning EFI on the American, did the Classic with the Howell kit on the
232... it's really great, but I won't do that again. It's not what I want
out of a half century old car. I dislike tuning the car with a laptop. About
as rational as not wanting a car with a plastic instrument panel, but this
is about what I LIKE not what I "need".

4bbls on high-output engines can be a pain to dial in and keep there, but a
Weber is a no-brainer. THe Holley 390 is equally simple, but it is far, far
too large a carb for stock or mild sixes, I've run 'em all, I know from
experience and I know from calculation they're all just too much flow. Even
the 32/36 is 2X carb needed for that engine below 4000 rpm. Big carb == big
pants size for some people though.

The weber to me just suits this old engine fine. It's the least invasive
too. The WCD starved dead on every hard turn!

$300=350 is about what you'll spend putting efi on a 4.0L.,

Yeah but 1/4th of what you'll pay -- junkyard sourced or not -- to put EFI
on a non-efi chassis. Tank, pumps, lines, computer, wiring, firewall
chopping (cable, no small feat), chips, chip equipment, sfotware, laptop,
etc etc... Been there, done that. Once. No regrets, never do it again :-)

Though the EDIS will need a bit of that, sigh. But what with nothing but old
worn distributors there's not much choice in hte matter, and good spark will
eak another hp out of it (less lossage, I can hear the timing jitter...)

> WHAT YOU NEED TO REMEMBER IS MOST OF THE EBAY ITEMS ARE 20-40 YEARS OLD.

Yeah, like an AMC Bendix disc upgrade isn't an "upgrade" anymore, the parts
are hard to find. Scarebird or just hotrod the drums. At this point drums
are STILL easier to find than some of the AMC discs, they just made so damn
many drum brakes, only two brands ... and I am certain I can make 10" drums
on AMC small chassis as good as or better than AMC discs, not cheap though.
9" drum setups are cheep!