Re: [AMC-list] pies in the skies

I emailed Don below off list with long (known for that) reply. I mentioned to him the vast array of opinions from all necks of woods from some who may or may not post, some have cars sitting up in woods, others museum pieces, some posts you learn from others like listenting to Lindsey Lohan blather.

One thing I didn't mention to Don off list was that a number of the beaters, or pie in sky award winners all need a home, regardless of seller wanting too much for a car rotted into the ground.

This is the last day for the Ed Hooper AMC Collection. I took time off from family and flew to Dallas to help the family positively ID these cars, as they had ads running like a 74 Javelin was listed as 78 Matador. The family wanted to just get rid of all the cars and a dozen or so before I got up there, did indeed go to a salvage yard, mostly Javelins & AMXs sadly. The family didn't care what the cars sold for, they wanted them gone, same with the property up there. Ed.....knowing him personally for decades.....looked at ALL of his cars as pie in sky winners. To him......they WERE showcars, and no amount of $$$ would sway him to sell them.......

And as I write this on the final, last day.....while the file is hidden on my site, I used craigslist extensively, over 200 ads were placed from May in effort to sell them. The bottom line is there are a few left, and they will be hauled to the crusher since no one wanted them. Sort of like being picked last in school for dodgeball.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_estate_sale/ed-hooper.htm

So with that, it is sort of a service to have those craigslist and other 'check this out' emails. Not everyone agrees on what the cars may/may not be worth if anything at all (like the Hooper cars above going to crusher since no one wanted them) on the other hand, possibly someone will give the car one last look and decide it is worth more than scrap price in crappy economy and take a chance on it.

One of the oldest files on my website is 'altered amcs' which talks about all those thousands of AMCs lost to pick a parts here since 1983. There is nothing, and has been nothing AMC at pick a part in years, simply dried up!

With that however, you will see AMCers poking fun at other AMCers all the time. I could point out some xxx files in my JUST STUFF file on my site, but what a car may/may not be worth in perceived vaule is in eye of beholder. Yes there are dozens of pie in sky award winners, but on other hand there are others people see a good AMC deal and buy it. Other aMCs languish for eternity on ebay until they are running joke of the week as price continues to drop and drop. Rarity does not equate market value when it comes to AMC.

Hopefully everyone continue to learn from this amc-list and enjoy it. I don't care nor would know a 195.6 Rambler engine if you dropped it on my foot, so simply deleted those or other threads I didn't know......or care.....about. Hopefully that will work for others too! Take care,
Eddie Stakes

Subject: Re: [AMC-list] who really cares stupid pie in the sky

Don Holzer <holzerhomerepair@xxxxxxxxx> said:
I thought the hole purpose of the AMC list was to communicate about repair issues parts avaliable items for sale between list members not for some knuckle head to search or look on Craigs list each and every day to see who is selling reasonable in your eyes on not reasonable in your opinion who really cares what people ask for there junk if it sells it sells if not it does not sell then let it go. It serves no purpose it does not help to give your opinion on what you think especially when no one person asked, I am a member of the list to gain knowledge not to hear others give there 2 cents worth of what they THINK is reasonable, Remember when you own it, it is worth all the money in the world and when you sell it every 1 who wants it devalues what you have and thinks like AMC mentality they tell you what it is worth. Bottom line if you live on the East coast who cares what a guy in California sells his heap for if he can sell it good for him. Don't worry about the hobby it will take care of it self.

Congratulations, Don. You said that in much more polite language than the way you said it in private email under your pen name Joseph Frezloh <jfrezloh@xxxxxxxxx>.

You have your opinion, and I have mine.

-- Marc
Eddie Stakes