Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:17:45 -0400
From: Frank Swygert
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] '87 Alliance Convertible . . . it's alive!

Congratulations! Glad you got it running. I mostly liked the 85/86
Alliance I had, only it had the 1.4L with auto. Great around town car,
bad long trip car.

I could have told you the CPS was a major tripping point! Mine had just
got dirty and started running rough. It's very similar to the Jeep Renix
system (the Alliance system is a Renix too). You should have the 1.7L,
which is a lot more suited to the car.

Those have a sealed cooling system. The coolant tank is above the
radiator. If you have a leak or crack in the tank or the cap it will run
hot. If the air isn't properly bled out of the system it will run hot.
Check the tank and all the small hoses to it, make sure everything is
tight and the cap is good. If the tank won't hold pressure the thing
will run hot. Crank it up and let it get warm, the slowly twist the cap
off and listen for pressure escaping, but don't take all the way off! I
don't think it will spew up like a radiator, but steam doesn't feel good
either. In fact, let it sit about 10-15 minutes after you shut it off.
There should still be pressure in the system, maybe even 30 minutes
later. The Haynes manual should tell you how to properly fill and bleed