Re: [AMC-list] ouch!!!

" From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'm not sure what you mean by the "driving experience".

what i mean is the feeling of becoming one with the machine as you
carve up a twisty road.  it's almost like dancing.

i'm not likely to have a lambo or even a vette, but i've had the
experience in other cars and even, occasionally, in my rambler.  you
don't get it on the highway or in town.

" That is a marketing term developed to get people to buy a certain type
" of car and to accept their weaknesses.

one man's weakness is another's strength.

having said that, marketeers will say -anything- not legally
actionable to sell cars.  there's a reason car salesmen have the rep
they do.  a lot of lambos - relatively speaking - are sold to poseurs,
wannabees, and yuppie scum lacking sense but not money, though
ferraris are usually first choice for these crowds.

" I have never had a Lambo, I have never had a Vega either. Certain cars
" I am not interested in. I read test drives on all the cars, econo
" boxes to supercars, and it amazes me that certain cars that awe and
" wow people, just do not do that well in real world circumstances.

magazine tests are not always unbiased.  and the wow factor is good
for sales, practicality be damned.  that's why consumer electronics
are littered with useless 'features'.

" I go back to the Vette. For some reason people like to compare that
" car to Porsch and Jag. In most cases the Vette does better or just a
" click less than those cars (not counting the years when Vettes were a
" tuna boat), yet the Vette comes in at half the cost. And the Porsch is
" still thought of as "the car". I had a 914 and I could not wait to get
" rid of it.

there are more porsches than the 914, just as there are more chevys
than the vette.  the 914 - 4 cyl especially - was about the cheapest
car they ever made.

back in '97, motor trend decided to revisit the shelby 427 cobra's
famous 0-100-0 record [13.8s] and see how a few modern supercars would
compare.  the winner?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/112_9705_track_testing_event_part3/0_to_100_mph.html
===========================
0-100-0 MPH - #7
			0-100	100-0	Total elapsed
			(sec) 	(sec)	times (sec)
PORSCHE 911 TURBO 	9.4 	4.3 	13.7
DODGE VIPER GTS 	8.8 	5.1 	13.9
FERRARI F355 		10.9 	4.5 	15.4
CHEVROLET CORVETTE 	11.1 	4.6 	15.7
ACURA NSX-T 		11.8 	4.5 	16.3
TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO 	12.3 	4.5 	16.8
MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR-4  13.4 	4.5 	17.9
===========================
their sister mag was testing superbikes at the same time, and their
best would do 0-100-0 before the porsche even got to 100.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/112_9705_track_testing_event_part3/road_course.html
===========================
Road Course - #10
DODGE VIPER GTS 	39.4 sec
FERRARI F355 		39.5 sec
PORSCHE 911 TURBO 	40.2 sec
TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO 	41.3 sec
ACURA NSX-T 		41.5 sec
CHEVROLET CORVETTE 	41.7 sec
MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR-4  42.3 sec

If we could do but one test to quantify a car's all-around
performance, there would be no better way than timing a lap around a
twisty road-racing-type circuit. For this test, we modified one of Las
Vegas Motor Speedway's myriad infield road courses to make it even
tighter and tougher. The result was a 0.75-mile seven-turn course that
included everything from a 120-mph straightaway to a brake-smoking,
tire-shredding 45-mph second-gear hairpin, to a driver-puckering
third-gear kink, and so on.
" Driving experience? I have had a few cars that would fit in that cat.
" The term is over used.......Russ

agreed.