Re: [AMC-list] ouch!!!

tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> said:

>Why do feeble-minded fools like him get to survive and breed more of the
>same?

I know.  On the other hand, it'd be a pretty boring world if everyone was as perfect as me.  ;-)

>Bruce Hevner <scramblr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hope it has side curtain airbags he was traveling 100+ mph
>>
>> http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/video:-i-675-crash-caught-on-tape
>
>"Lost control of his car" indeed.
>
>I would support re-testing for a drivers licence every 5, 10 years and a
>sticker indicating tested skill level attached to both ends of cars. Wanna
>just be an appliance operator, talk on the phone while you drive? OK fine, Z
>class driver limited to 60mph in special commuter lanes, GVW under 3500lbs.
>Careful, skilled driver, uses signals BEFORE you turn (what happened to
>that) etc, no at-fault accidents? Class A, left lanes, 75mph, 6000 lb GVW
>OK.

IIRC, Italy has a "stepped" driver's license as you suggest.

In 1985 there was a 60 Minutes show where Morley Safer went to Italy to interview the maker of Lamborghini, and ended up going on a ride with one of Lambo's "test pilots".  The driver was excellent.  Safer explained the different license classes in the voice-over.  I remember seeing that program on TV back in 1985.  To my surprise, Googling 'Morley Safer Lamborghini' came up with the exact clip:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OwCR8AP2G0

In any case, I agree with you on the idea of a stepped license.  However, interstate highways were originally designed by traffic engineers to carry traffic at 100 mph-plus speeds.  The only reason we're choked down to 55-75 now is that bureaucrats figured out it was a cash cow to keep limits artificially low.

Personally, I'd like to see commuters gotten off the interstates, and a return to the original plan for those roads: high speeds and **inter-state** travel (as opposed to allowing people to use them every day as commuter highways).

I'd much rather drive to LA @ 150 mph (about a day's driving at that speed) than spend a day at the airport getting repeatedly searched at every gate.

-- Marc