Re: [AMC-list] American wagons...

Just a little nit on the GM dist. You HAVE to change the dist drive gear to an AMC one from a points or Prestolite dist.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] American wagons...

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" I think a 65 (earlyish) American is the way to go. There's far
" []
" There's only one hardtop, 67? Unlikely to find one. Wouldn't rule it out
" though if I did!

sc/ramblers were hardtops.  rogues were.  iirc they made them all along.

2dr sedan is the strongest/lightest body style.  4dr is next, then ht,
then convert.

" I doubt I'd do more than bolt-on changes (wheels, tires,
" Pertronix, etc).

hei from a late-'70s 250 is a bolt-on too.

" It's gotta be a six, and I strongly prefer no power steering nor power
" brakes. Prefer manual, but auto would not be a deal killer on the right car.
" I honestly think the 199 or 232 would be better; mileage matters more than
" power for daily use.

that would be '66 on; '65 232, auto only.  and '65 has a unique water
pump, -i-think- also used '65-74? on jeeps.

" I don't know the details in the 64 - 69 models (I like the earlier body
" styles better), I know some years (69?) there's a good selection of front
" suspension and such aftermarket. Not sure about the early stuff, but
" trunnions are not one of my worries.

'64-9 suspension is all the same, though they went to a bigger
balljoint mid/late '66.

i've got hd springs [nos front, espo rear] and 14x6 hornet wheels with
185/75s on my '68.  the fronts need a thin spacer - ~1/8" - to clear.
i also have kyb gas-a-justs, which i can't really recommend; my car
rides harder than my friend's 4x4 3/4t diesel suburban.

i also have 16:1 amx manual steering, which i really like.  it's a
little tough in parking lots and you learn to roll the car to turn the
wheels, but i can one-hand it at road speed and i can take just about
any corner without shifting my hands.

btw the 199/232 appears to be within 20lb of the 196 flathead.  listed
curb weight of my '66: 2625 lbs.  my '65: 2640.  both 2dr 220 3sp.

safety evo brought my '68 closer to 2800.

" I probably wouldn't even do a disc swap; I'd do what I did to my little
" American. The fully ventilated brakes are GREAT.

you could do 10" drums pretty easily, with v8 fronts and spirit amx /
concord wagon rears.  possibly this setup wouldn't need front spacers
for 14x6" rims.