To: "AMC List" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:25 AM
Subject: [AMC-list] striker bolt and door allignment

American Parts Depot, and I think also Kennedy American Maybe others too..carry an all metal reproducton bolt. I bought the stainless one, twice the cost but worth it. You can replace the bushings on the door hinges fairly easily, but it does take some effort. The GM bronze bushing in the "help" parts has the correct inner diameter for the hinge pin, and is slightly larger on the outside. Perfect for the hinge that has been rounded out a little from no bushing for many years. cut it down a little on the outside, but not too much, it should fit very snug..
Alligning the doors is an art.  but with practice, not too hard.

WAY easier if you do have the front fender off..... Good time to paint, and rustproof the inside of the "A" pillar... Water drains down inside them, and you need to rustproof it eventually, or it begins to rust in half at the bottom if the drain is clogged, and in the middle, where the seam is..... the 3M inner seam sealer is great stuff, but not cheap. Do every pinch weld on the car as you get to them. before you develope a rust problem later..

Jeff

The door striker bolts on my 81 now seems to close badly as the plastic insert around the pin has broken away. I thought some were also made of metal but I think mine were plastic. Are there any "HELP" product strikers that are the same as Amc that anyone has found. They do not seem to list any of AMC. or has anyone had any luck with a similar replacement hose or something that can be inserted around and in the pin where the old hard plastic was. Have not checked to see if they are still available through the AMC JEEP NOPAR dealers, if there are still any around here. Thanks.
Regards, Ken/Boston

...and once you find a good pin, you'll have to adjust/replace the hinges or the 'new' pin will be wrecked also. Door alignment/worn hinges means the pin has to lift the door as it closes in addition to just holding the door shut. You could lower the pin to catch the door but the assorted crease lines on the door won't
match the rest of the body. : )

('nuther)
Ken