[AMC-list] Hit the road, hit the trail, now time to hit the lemonade!

[AMC-list] Hit the road, hit the trail, now time to hit the lemonade!

My oldest son and I have been doing a local rail-trail in sections.
We've been doing round trips of 3 (when I just started) to 28 miles.
The trail is nice and flat, as it is the old Seaboard rail line, and
is now a nice, paved multi-use trail. The trail is 62 miles long, and
changes to The Chief Ladiga Trail in Alabama, and goes on for another
33 miles, giving a 95 mile length of paved bike path.

We did the busy eastern end, and started off at different places along
the trail. Kevin on his Trek hybrid, and me on a '72 Schwinn
Continental. Since it's Georgia, and it's summer time, and I don't get
out of the house as early as I'd like - we ride in temps in the mid
90's. Heat index of 100 or more. Just a little toasty.

Today I wanted to take the Rambler out and give it a good run. We
hopped in and headed west on 120, then west on 278 to Cedartown. About
40-45 miles away. A good way to see if the carb rebuild was good! The
bike rack I got for my old Saturn SL1, then used on my Corolla worked
just fine on the Rambler. We made it to the Cedartown Depot (I don't
think it's the original depot, I think it's new construction in the
same style). The depot didn't open until 1:00, so we headed out.

We rode on a small section along the road, then the trail picked up.
We kept heading west on a nice concrete path. Nice and level, with
good views on both sides. We passed some farmland and some houses. We
passed what I think is a hunt club. Passed some chicken coops - and
from the lack of smell, I'm guessing they are no longer in business.
We went over some small bridges that used to carry the train over
small creeks. Now they are just for bikes, walkers, joggers.

We went 10.2 miles and made it to the state line. There is a small
picnic area where the Silver Comet Trail ends and the Chief Ladiga
begins. We stopped and chatted with a guy that pedalled over from
Jacksonville (some 20-26 miles away - a long ride on a mid 90's day!).
We each had an apple, then headed back. It seemed easier heading back.
While the path is pretty level (2 degrees elevation, max of 4 degrees)
- I think we were heading downhill. Anyway, it seemed easier pedalling
back. In all, we did about 20.4 miles or so.

We made it to the depot, and it was open! The air conditioning and
cold cold water felt great! I looked around at pictures of the town
from the early 1900's and in to the forties and fifties. It must have
been a beautiful town then. We headed out the main street to get back
on 27 and 278. Wow! Time was hard on the town. Most of main street was
out of business, boarded up or in deep need of care. I had naively
thought that there would HAVE to be an independent diner or burger
shop or ice cream shop in town. I asked the lady at the depot, and the
only place she knew about was closed on Sundays. Darn.

We headed back home, doing the 40-45 mile ride with no major problems.
The car temp gauge stayed cool. The car did great cruising along at 55
or so. As we were getting closer, the car started stalling out at
lights. The idle would drop to just barely perceptible, and if I
didn't hit the gas pedal, it would just cut out. It ran fine with my
foot on the peddle, it liked driving at 55. It liked hills. It just
did not like idling at red lights.

So - time to fiddle a little more with idle, then I think we are good
to hit the Chief Ladiga in Alabama! Or maybe do a road trip out to the
Ave Maria Grotto in Cullman, Alabama.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2015

The car felt like it could just go on forever at 50-55. And we sure
made the most of it.

So - bike trip? We did all the original sections of the Silver Comet
in small pieces. We did not do a section alongside 278 between
Rockmart and Cedartown. I'm trying to decide if we want to do it or
not. It's hilly. It does not have much shade. It is along a highway,
rather than the original secluded rail bed. It would be good to do it
just to say we did, but I'm not sure if I want to make my fat self
ride hills in Georgia in August. Maybe in the fall. But it's not
rail-trail!

Now it's time to cool down and have something nice and cold.