[AMC-list] How clean for windshield replacement?

[AMC-list] How clean for windshield replacement?

OK, so I have the replacement windshield cleaned and ready to go... the
windshield frame on the car is PRETTY clean but it is really takin some paint
off to get it perfectly clean... where do I draw the line?  If there is a thin
film of the old adhesive in places, is that OK to glue over?  I have done these
in teh past and used some chemical removers to help which cleaned things up
right away, but it is not doing as well on thei particular one!

This is on an 88 Eagle Wagon.

Your experienced advice is apreciated.

Jesse