Re: [AMC-list] failed 195.6 OHV oil pump....

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:26 PM,  <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd guess that the cover being steel compared to cast means next to nothing.
>    Probably 90% plus of modern engines have cast body w/steel covers.

Yeah, but not Nash's design! The passive gear just floats around in
the cavity on an axle. I can't recall what a 232 or later v8 pump
looks like.

>    The full flow system is likely a better system. The learning curve has been painful. Without a doubt

Yeah, steep indeed! The stock pump is on there, and it's reliable
enough. I've driven it a bit and got it all warmed up, and hot oil
pressure is 40psi at 500 rpm, and 60psi at 1500rpm and up. That's more
than adequate, I'm fine with that.

Interestingly, with the relief valve open the main gallery is at
60psi; with the hotrod (suicide...) pump it pegged at *80*. Yes, the
hotrod pump was THAT MUCH more volume.

Probably the ideal thing would be to get clearance down to .010 or
whatever and call it quits. I am unlikely to cut'n'try another pump to
figure that out. I'll note all this on the webpage and leave it to
future generations.

Since the pump runs at a funny angle, and at rest the gear sits
touching the cover, it really needs to be PERFECTLY flat and
perpendicular to the gear. The metal-to-metal contact on my mess is
not evenly spread around the cover, but biased to one side; I wonder
if my milling of the pump body left it not perfectly perpendicular to
the gear ends. This job really was outside the precision of my
mill+experience.

The full-flow aspect, the plumbing changes, seemed to have no effect
on any of this. I'm likely to re-do that on an otherwise stock body at
a later date, either with my existing plate (I'll have to resurface
it) or a modded stock cover. The problem with the latter is that it
doesn't leave many threads to seal the fitting, like two.