Re: [AMC-list] Clutch and Bushings '71 Javelin

Re: [AMC-list] Clutch and Bushings '71 Javelin

Jim,

You want a diaphragm clutch pressure plate. That will give you the least
pedal pressure.

I think htere are several AMC vendors that have bushings for the 71 Javelin,
the parts are the same for the "second generation" suspension up front from
70 to 74 and the same on many if not all 70 and newer full size AMCs except
Pacer.
One thing you may want to consider is using a combination or original style
rubber bushings and urethane bushings.
If you are going the original rubber path, look for MOOG suspension
bushings, available at NAPA stores I believe.
There are several urethane vendors out there that have kits for full size
AMC cars.

Just my opinion, I like a mixture of rubber and urethane, control arms are
rubber bushed. Strut bar is urethane, (use caution when raising car, lift it
by the lower control arm and don't allow the suspension to go to full droop
for long strut bar life). Stabilizer bar and links are urethane. Remember
that's my preference only, I'm sure there will be disagreement about that,
but it has worked just fine fo rme for over four years now.

Armand