Re: [AMC-list] Rambler American in LeMons...

Re: [AMC-list] Rambler American in LeMons...

> ! The only problem is the two don't fit together well.

Yeah, but like you say for a race car not such a problem, and it would be a
chance to explore techniques to do so (the sideways radiator in front of the
wheel and an electric pump... won't do that here though, $$$)

> 196 rods in a 199/232?? I don't know about that... They're forged, so
> that's a plus, but finding a piston to fit might be a problem. I wouldn't
> bore that Indy block any more than I had to for a more or less common piston
> to fit. That might dictate rod length too (piston pin height). Don't want to
> have to order $700-$800 of custom forged pistons for it!

Don't forget, this thing has cyl walls nearly 1/2" thick -- I can bore any
hole I please (must leave enough sleeve behind) ! I'd do so to get an
obtainable piston. I haven't even RTFM'd to see if big-end of the 196 rod is
correct, but i recall it is. It's a crapshoot whether there's a stock piston
of the right pin height, etc. Just a thought though, as they are long and
forged -- and in hand. IUf not, stock rods are not a problem to get.

The car has to cost $500. With a Navarro-built Indy 500 ringer motor I
better have the docs straight! I can prove I paid $500 for the lot of parts,
but then sold some for $200 so I paid $300 for the motor... car was free...
T14 was free... rods are free... I can document all that. Brakes, tires,
wheels, safety gear, are "open".