Re: [AMC-list] GaryJav spring tool didn't work

Is a special tool needed for the '69 Rebel front springs? (the car is cut up now and I cut the 2 towers off complete) Since no-one has been interested in the rest of the car, tomorrow AM the rust free rear quarters and floor pans will be headed for the scrap yard.
   I figured someone would be interested in them to make molds for repair panels at the very least (only $20 a section!)

From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AMC-list] GaryJav spring tool didn't work

I bought one of the GaryJav tools in the last week after almost losing a spring while changing out the driver's side about two weeks ago..? I tried to use it to remove the passenger side spring today, but the springs (heavy duty Rambler springs) were evidently installed by a shop and not at the factory.? The eyes in the top/bottom spring cups were not lined up in a vertical line.?The tool won't easily fit when the eyes are not nearly vertical.? The previous shop must have used?some external spring compressors and not the AMC tool.? So I removed the spring with my vertical spring compressor today and had another fairly close call.?? I was more worried about doing damage to my freshly painted fender than to my hands and face.? That's the sign of a true AMC cheapskate err....hobbyist I guess.
?
I'll use the?GaryJav tool for installed the replacement spring after I get it compressed.? I'm waiting for the Rustleom paint to dry on the spring cups right now.? I get spoiled by quick dry enamel and Rustoleum slows me down when I use it.?? So the?lesson for today was:? Even good tools can't overcome poor workmanship.?
?
Joe Fulton (still with all his fingers)
Salinas, CA