[AMC-list] Some People Know how to Do It

[AMC-list] Some People Know how to Do It

I could have titled this post Worthless Bureaucracy or something similar but I wanted emphasize the postive and not the negative in this instance.

I bought a BBB 70 Javelin (amc content) last year (sept 2009) which had been sitting in a field for years.  I jumped through the hoops, trailered it to the DMV and had the VIN number verified and then registered at the DMV near where I work.   They are nice people.  They issued a new set of CA plates but I indicated that I wanted to use the Blue and Yellow plates (original plates) on the car.  The lady included that request and sent the paperwork to Sacramento.  Weeks later I got a phone call from a lady at the DMV in Sacramento who had my request for the special plates and she asked be to send a check for an additonal $49 and she said she would issue the new title.  It's now June 2010 and I received a letter requesting an application for title and a request for an additional $64 from Sacramento.  I was frustrated and not a little upset.

I went to the local DMV today with all the paperwork and explained the situation as well as I could.  The DMV clerk left her desk for awhile and came back with a confirmation that they (Sacramento) had lost my paperwork.  She filled out a statement of facts for me and asked me to sign it, reclaimed the new plates I had been issued and said I was good to go. I could use the Blue and Yellow plates.  I expect that I'll get the new title in the mail soon, but I won't hold my breath since it is coming from Sacramento.

It's rewarding to know that there are people in a system who can cut through the bureaucracy and get the job done.   The DMV office near my work is loaded with people like that and I've never had a problem with them.  I was not looking forward to working with someone in Sacramento by snail mail, especially when they were asking for paperwork that I had already submitted and when they were asking for more money.  I had already paid over $160 to get a 40 year old car registered.

And to think some day our medical paperwork will be handled by big brother.

Joe Fulton