Re: [AMC-list] OT: enging heating

this engine is supposed to have been a rebuilt short block. re-used dizzy, and
it had metal shavings in the bottom of the cap area and bearings were wore out
on it. i got an oem replacement from local auto parts outlet (shucks-orielly)
and im just wondering. do those big early electronic dizzy's have mechanical
advance on them? if so, i would assume it would be different for car and
trucks. i wonder if i got given a car dizzy that could be putting the advance
in to late, making it retarded under light load. i have a timing light, and
checked it when i dropped the new dizzy in it. i dont know what the heck it
is supposed to be at for this engine with no load at what rpms. i know late
timing can cause heat, but it dont make any sense to me that it would build
lots of heat under NO load, but be perfecly normal under HEAVY load.
dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules