Re: [AMC-list] Used Springs

OK,  I'm a little late with pictures but the spring on the left side in the first picture is the heavy duty American spring from the driver's side of the car that I replaced yesterday or the day before.   The second picture is of the part number tag on the heavy duty spring.  Wire diameter is .491 inches according to the parts book or TSM.  This compares to something like .439 inches (I forget, but much less.) for the standard American springs.  The tags were remarkably preserved on both of these heavy duty springs.  The dirver's side still sags with the used spring I installed yesterday.  I'll replace the passenger side spring later this week after I get the GarryJav spring tool.  I may end up just swapping the two heavy duty springs after I evaluate how the car sits with another light duty spring on the passenger side.  I think Frank S. suggested that when I first posted about the sagging springs a few months ago.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77%20Gremlin%20X/65%20Rambler%20American/?action=view&current=005.jpg

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77%20Gremlin%20X/65%20Rambler%20American/?action=view&current=007.jpg

And here is some work in progress.  I'm trying to make a 5-footer out of a twenty footer.  This is the car that sat in Pasadena in a barn since the mid-1980s until the P.O. got it in 2008.   I have been working on it for about the last year.  I'm slow.

The paint is a 1980 AMC Spirit color which also is a Chrysler paint code (Montana Blue) on the Dupont paint charts. I think AMC called something original like Navy Blue or Dark Blue.  It's a metallic paint and there's quite a bit of orange peel.  Because it's metallic I won't be able to color sand it.  If it gets obnoxious enough, I'll sand it down and spray another coat on it with my new paint gun.   The previous paint was Earl Schieb quality or worse and is flaking and dull.  I plan to do another door/quarter every few weeks, hopefully over a weekend each time.

 http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77%20Gremlin%20X/65%20Rambler%20American/?action=view&current=004.jpg

 http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77%20Gremlin%20X/65%20Rambler%20American/?action=view&current=002.jpg

 http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o115/pacerman_01/77%20Gremlin%20X/65%20Rambler%20American/?action=view&current=003.jpg

I do most of my finish painting in front of garage.  We don't have a lot of bugs and I try to paint when there is little wind.  It's not show quality, but it will provide some protection for the car.

Joe Fulton