Re: [AMC-list] 77 Hornet questions

Ken; I was looking through some of your photos and have a ques/comment.
First, the Isuzu rear, is that a good replacement for the AMCs. Same width, bolt pattern, stout rear, cheap, etc.? I have run the Toyota 2x4 rear before and they are the right width for the Hornets, 4 1/2 inch BP and stout/cheap. But they only come with drums, and little ones at that.
Second, on your rear bolt solution for the I6. Yeah, thats impossible to reach, and a lot of cars came in with loose and dripping rear bolts. My solution, like yours, is I put in a long stud that comes just below the top of the cover, I think it is 4". I slip a washer over the stud after the cover is in place and then a pipe that acts as a sleeve. Finally another washer and lastly a lock nut. I can then leisurly, while sipping a coffee and reading the paper, tighten the valve cover.
I can't believe that I struggled for years trying to even start that back bolt. Between that layout, the V8 intake bolt orietation and the gas tank wire coming up into the trunk; what were they thinking.
Anyways, dig your photo album....Russ