Re: [AMC-list] AMC Motorola alternators, death modes?

Billd on THEAMCFORUM.com can tell you everything you ever wanted to know and more about Motorolas.

-----Original Message-----
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:05:42
To: AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans.<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] AMC Motorola alternators, death modes?

I have an alternator failure that I'm unsure about...

Our 72 Hornet has the factory Motorola alternator with separate regulator.
It's been working fine without problems, but yesterday the alt light came
on. This morning I popped the hood and found the wire from the alternator
output stud had broken (vibrated) off. I put on a new crimp lug (soldered
it), cleaned all the connections, etc. I did not test the alternator for
output. Then Josh drove away in it without incident.

Tonight after work the car wouldn't start, battery dead. Turns out the
alternator is no longer charging.

My question: do these Moto's kill themselves if they are run without a
battery connected? I suspect the system will make the alternator output rise
without limit trying to pull the battery voltage up, until the alt dies.
Anyone know about this?