From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 16 May 2010 05:31:00
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] caspers rod is toast

so, i tried a few things on casper. thicker oil (20-50) the knock went away
for a little bit, but i was POSITIVE it was a bad rod. well, someone had
suggested to pull plug wires to till it quit knocking trick. yup, same
cylinder i lost the rod bearing in last summer. i know that bearing was going
bad for a while, but could NOT hear it till there was no bearing left. these
196 cast iron blocks are so thick, you cant hear anything in them. it had
probably been bad for a while, i just couldnt HEAR it till there was no
bearing left. meaning, the rod had been punding around for a while. now, it
is beat out of round. it knocks HORRIBLE above 2500 rpm. i tried to drive it
last weekend, drove about 10 miles UP HILL (steep mountain) and almost at the
top, lost oil pressure just enough the light on the dash started to flicker.
mechanical gauge showed 5 lbs. shut her down, checked oil. magine that, real
fine (almost like metalic paint) metal sparkles in the oil. 1 piece large
enough to tell it was bearing material. turned around and coasted it down the
hill. glad my house is at the bottom of the hill. only had to fire it up to
power the car about 1 mile or so. i guess i will be pulling the head again,
pulling the #6 piston, check the crank to see if it is beat out of round, or
if it is the rod. i hope its the rod and the crank is ok. i dont want to pull
that crank. if i have to pull the crank, then im going to ditch that motor,
and go crazy putting in my 304. i have to find a t5 first tho. i got to much
stuff to get that i cant find for my aluminum engine.
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! having no time what so ever does not help one bit.