Re: [AMC-list] speaking of snot covered sleeves

Nothing wrong with a properly installed sleeve at all. Cost is $75-$100 per cylinder -- that's the only reason NOT to sleeve a block. Generally if you need more than two sleeves you can get a rebuildable block that will clean up at 0.030"-0/040" over. When I bought a rebuilder 4.0L block the yard guaranteed that no more than one cylinder would need boring over 0.030" or I could swap it for another. Short block cost me $250 at the time, I wouldn't have returned it unless more than two cylinders needed sleeving. As it turned out only one needed a sleeve to bore all six 0.030" over. You could sleeve all six (or eight) bores, would just be a bit on the expensive side -- $450-$600 for a six, $600-$800 for a V-8. You could probably still find a 390 or 401 block that wouldn't require sleeving for under $600 if you looked real hard.
----------
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:23:57 -0500
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why is it not smart, or why is it smart, to sleeve an AMC engine back to
stock bore.

The cost of sleeves isn't important for the science in this question.

The idea is, when engines are bored too far they tend to run hot.

So instead of boring to say .040 oversize, and building the engine, and
risking heating problems, could the engine be sleeved back to stock bore and
maybe, just maybe not experience heating trouble?

Hypothetically this might be a block already been punched to say .030 and
then damaged again.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts