[AMC-list] Ruined in 60 seconds,,,maybe not,,,

[AMC-list] Ruined in 60 seconds,,,maybe not,,,

The early VW rabbit Diesels had a problem with their oil pump pressure
relief valves not being big enough. When cold they would put out enough
pressure to "balloon" the oil filter and blow the seal off. It was easy to
tell if this had happened. The oil filters had a flat spot on the end of the
filter. If the filter had been subjected to overpressure the flat spot would
be gone and the end of the filter would be round. If this was the case we
would drop the pan (easy to do on that car) replace the oil pump with a
revised one that had TWO pressure reliefs! Button it back up and send them
on their way. Never saw an engine go bad from this!! A testament to how
tough those little VW diesels bottom ends were I guess.

But HEY,,, that's just me!!!

Bruce Hevner