Re: [AMC-list] ruined in 60 seconds

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I doubt you hurt the bottom end since it had oil and only lost it for a few
> seconds with no load. If you'd been driving down the road it would be a
> different story. You might have taken 1000-2000 miles off the life of the
> bearings, but unless they were perfectly dry or the engine was under load
> you should be fine. Pull the pan and look if you're scared, but I'd fix the
> oil filter system and start it up, listen for sounds, attach a gauge, then
> rev it up to 1500-2000, listening as it goes up. Even if it starts knocking
> a little you can still rev it up to 1000-1500 rpm with no problems. Likely
> will ruin the rod, but shouldn't bother the crank unless the bearing is
> totally gone.

Yeah, I saw your reply first, then replied backwards. Thanks, I was afraid
that I'd run it w/o pressure for the whole 30, 40 secs but I think ti was
likely low pressure that time, it was oiled to begin with, and I killed it
when it went to zero.

I'll do pretty much this, new gauge (!), fix that damned relief valve,
listen for sounds, etc go slow and check it out.