Re: [AMC-list] Ruined in 60 seconds ?? Maybe not

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Bruce Hevner <scramblr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with Frank.  The FIRST thing you must address is why the filter
> blew
> the gasket out. There is SOME kind of issue with the pressure relief valve.

I'm certain you are absolutely correct. I bought a new spring and plunger
from Galvins, but I have the old one, believe you me, I will pull it and go
over it with NASA quality inspection.

Most oil filters are designed to withstand 100+ PSI as they might see that
> kind of pressure on a VERY cold start with heavy oil. So you had oil
> pressure until the filter seal blew. A few minutes running with no load
> probably did minimal damage.

You words especially are a relief. I'm thinking that the popped gasket
reduced pressure to a few PSI, but it was oiled up, so it probably is OK.
Chances are the dash light came on as the sump went dry (pressure == 0) and
I shut down immediately.

It pushed the gasket out, and PEGGED and RUINED my new, 100 PSI marked,
Summit pressure gauge! The needle is still on the far of the stop! Like some
cartoon... I'll photo it. The plumbing I used is all rated at 300 psi
operating, the filter good for 100 like you say, but my gauge went all the
way 'round! It's a Bourdon tube type so it was a LOT of pressure...

My strategic mistake is run-in from the cab, I should have been standing
under the hood, I would have seen the mess within seconds. I got lazy and
decided to use the dash tach, instead of my clip-on tach. D'oh.

> After I had the pressure problem fixed I'd probably fill it with some real
> lightweight oil, run it till hot and then listed for any signs of bearing
> noise with a mechanics stethoscope. If it sounds ok with light oil I'd go
> ahead and put regular 10-30 or whatever weight you use and run it paying
> particular attention to any new developing noises. I'll bet you're OK
> though.

This makes total sense, and I will do this after I FIND the relief problem.

Thanks Bruce, your words from experience carry a lot of weight with me.