Re: [AMC-list] Caspers Motor finding knock- Sea Foam saved my day!

Re: [AMC-list] Caspers Motor finding knock- Sea Foam saved my day!

lifter tick is usually easier to fix than a knock, since he just had it apart
we can be fairly sure it is not loose carbon or some other easy fix.
Pulling the plug wire is the first step.
Be careful if it has an upgraded ign. late model coils put out enough
amperage to stop your heart if the path through your body goes through it!

For the lifter tick on my original 232 it would drop lifters, shake and tick.
While I worked on it at home, I poured a pint of ATF in the oil.
By the time I had moved it around a dozen times and was ready to put it
 on the road it ran perfect and never ticked again.

Seafoam is great stuff, but if you have atf on hand...

Dave, Is it at all possible you had a visitor drop something in the head
while you were working on it?
  Small children, squirrels, chipmunks, etc; have all been known to do nasty little tricks like that!

My buddy once dropped a nut down his carb, got distracted by another friend and forgot to remove it!
  First time he went WOT the nut dropped into the cylinder....Made one hell of a noise, but when he pulled the head he found no real damage! The nut at been beat around til it was just a knot of metal. Piston top was all pitted, cylinder was fine.
  He polished the top of the piston and checked the valves for seal and put it back together and ran it for years.

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.