Re: [AMC-list] caspers motor may be ok, but need advice/suggestions

Re: [AMC-list] caspers motor may be ok, but need advice/suggestions

> Now that I think about it, my 62 Classic wagon (195.6 OHV) made that same
> noise at idle.  That noise, plus the fact that it had pretty bad a-pillar
> rust led me to scrap the car a couple of years ago.  There was also a brazed
> place on the bottom of the oil pan, which let me to suspect that it had
> thrown something (rod nut, whatever) previously and had not been properly
> repaired.  Maybe I put two and two together and got five.  I don't know.

Your guess is as good as mine. "My" noise was clear and clean, if that makes
any sense, slightly tinny sounding. Tink, tink, tink, ... about twice a
second at idle, clear and distinct with the filler cap off. To be honest, I
have not had any motor fail on me catastrophically, ever (tossed rod, that
sort of thing) so I don't have a lot of experiences with bizarro noises. And
mine ran that way for two years, and occasionally driven hard.

Design feature or imminent failure, it's one rugged S.O.B. motor. Pretty
much all of us who get one, it came with years and probably decades of
abuse, and they run til they eventually drop D.E.A.D. The 232/258 would do
that too, it's just that most of the 195.6's we see are 1958-1965, the
YOUNGEST 195.6 is 35 years old, and the numeric bulk of the 232's are 10, 20
years younger than that (70's, 80's). Those are better motors too, so they
will fail softer probably. We already see some of that sort of failure, the
older 6's with the oil up past the headbolt are already falling over dead
(easy fix), manifolds leaking bad enough to cause severe tuneup problems
(annoying but easy fix)... that's about it I think. I'm certainly not
complaining about the new six, that's flattery! Failure analysis is deeply
revealing, and everything will fail when abused.